23 Mar 2018
Last month we covered the launching of the new international standard for health & safety called ISO 45001.Since its launch on 12 March a number of businesses have already signed up, with organisations on the old OHSAS 18001 standard having three years to migrate to the new standard.
What is ISO 45001?ISO 45001 is the first global standard of its kind and is intended to provide a framework to improve employee safety, reduce workplace risks and create better, safer working conditions. This is regardless of the size, type or nature of the business or where it is located in the world. The standard covers both physical and mental health. ISO 45001 replaces OHSAS 18001, and sets out the requirements for organisations aiming to create a successful health and safety management system. It shares a ‘high level structure’ with two other management standards, the ISO 14001 environmental standard and the ISO 9001 quality standard. This means that all three share terms, definitions, headings and some text, allowing organisations to assess elements of their in-house systems across all three standards.
Which Companies Made The Grade?All 10 of the businesses went through a rigorous assessment programme, with the British Standards Institution conducting a final review. The ten companies, which received the standard are:
- CBRE Global Workplace Solutions and Emcor UK, which are facilities management companies
- Colas Rail, a rail infrastructure contractor
- Eurovia UK and Ringway Jacobs, which are highways contractors
- Interserve and Morgan Sindall, which are construction contractors
- Overbury, which is a refurbishment and fit-out contractor
- OKI UK, which is a print contractor
- OPG, which is a Scottish fleet branding company
What Are The Business Benefits?There are a wide-range of benefits to the new standard. These include:
- It helps businesses to provide a safe and healthy workplace for workers and other people
- It reduces work-related injury and ill-health
- It continually improves occupational health and safety performance
- It enhances organisational resilience
Expert SupportCroner can carry out a Gap Analysis to the ISO 45001 standard for your business, as well as provide consultancy in order to attain certification once it is launched. For expert advice and support contact 0808 145 3490.
Do you have any questions?
Get a free callback from one of our regional experts today