10 Jan 2012
London, 30 January 2012 –The latest edition of the Croner Clerical and Operatives Rewards Survey reveals that earnings for clerical and operative staff in 2011 rose by only a third to a half of the level of inflation.
The survey by Croner is based on 6,994 job recordings provided by 602 companies employing 1,007,713 employees across the UK. Key findings of the survey are:
- Earnings for clerical staff have risen by 1.5% over the last 12 months and 2.4% for operative jobs.
- Participants are forecasting that where across-the-board settlements are to be applied for the coming year these will run at 2.8% for clerical jobs and 2.9% for operative workers.
- The vehicles and parts industry has the highest average clerical pay at £24,848 per annum, 32.5% above the national average.
- The highest average pay for operatives is in the energy industry at £510.28 per week, 44% above the national average.
- The computer services industry has seen the largest pay increases (8.1% for clerical workers and 10.1% for manual workers).
- Herts/Essex has seen the largest year-on-year increase in average clerical pay of 6.0%.
- The South West, Northern Ireland and North West have also seen earnings changes for clerical staff of over 3.0%.
- Operatives' pay in North West has risen the most in the last year at 11.2%.
- West Midlands and Northern Ireland have seen increases in operatives' pay of over 5.0%
- The lowest changes for clerical staff have been seen in West Midlands and in East Anglia for operatives.
Commenting on the survey results, Viv Copeland Head of Reward at Croner says: "Despite inflation running at 4.2% by the end of 2011, average pay for clerical and manual workers has risen by between 1.5% and 2.4% over the same period. Increase forecast by employers for 2012, although higher than 2011 at 2.8% to 2.9% still fall below the current level of inflation. This would mean a pay cut in real terms for these types of employee which make up a large percentage of the UK workforce."
Clerical and Operative Rewards is a comprehensive UK-wide picture of pay levels and conditions for clerical, junior technical, manual and shopfloor jobs in business of all sizes across a wide range of industry sectors. It can be purchased for £560.00 (ex. VAT) from Croner
Do you have any questions?
Get a free callback from one of our regional experts today