Step-by-step guide to incident reporting (RIDDOR)


06 Dec 2018


Although organisations are continually taking steps to guarantee the health & safety of their employees, they might not always be able to avoid it.

In situations where accidents do occur at work, the health & safety executive (HSE) is responsible for enforcing the RIDDOR process.

What does RIDDOR stand for?

It stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Regulations 2013. The regulation makes it your responsibility to report if there’s been a death, injury, disease or other dangerous occurrences that take place at work.

Who’s responsible for recording injury at work?

RIDDOR puts duties of reporting incidents on you the employer, the self-employed and people in control of work premises. They are responsible for reporting certain serious accidents at work, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences or near misses.

Why is RIDDOR important?

Reporting accidents at work is necessary by law. The report aims to inform the enforcing authorities about deaths, injuries, diseases and other dangerous occurrences.

This process helps to identify where and how risks come up in the workplace. It also allows authorities to give advice on how to avoid work-related deaths and injuries.

What must you report to RIDDOR?

The legislation requires employers, and other people in control of work premises, to report and keep records of:

  • Work-related accidents that cause death: This refers to workers and non-workers who die from a work-related accident (including acts of violence to a worker, excluding suicides).
  • Work-related accidents that cause certain serious injuries: Types of reportable injuries include fractures, amputations, serious burns and loss of consciousness. A detailed list of reportable injuries is available on the HSE website.
  • Diagnosed cases of certain industrial diseases: You must report diagnoses of certain diseases that are likely to have started at work or made worse by work. Diseases include carpal tunnel syndrome, occupational asthma, severe cramps of the hand and any other diseases attributed to the workplace.
  • Certain dangerous occurrences: Dangerous occurrence are instances where there was potential to cause harm or ‘near misses’. Dangerous occurrences include the overturn or failure of load-bearing parts of lifts and lifting equipment. It also includes equipment coming into close contact with overhead power lines or explosions and fires causing work to stop for more than 24 hours.

Making an incident report

There are three main ways to make a RIDDOR report:

  1. Online reporting: To submit an accident report form online, you choose one of the options best suited to your needs. The options include forms to report; an injury, dangerous occurrence, injury offshore, dangerous occurrence offshore, case of disease, inflammable gas incident and dangerous gas fitting.
  2. Telephone Reporting: A telephone reporting service is available for reporting only fatal or specified, and major incidents.
  3. Out of hours reporting: Because the HSE isn’t an emergency service, you don’t need to contact them out of office hours to report workplace injuries. Some conditions where the HSE may need to respond during out of office hours include:
  • A work-related death.
  • A serious incident with multiple casualties.
  • An incident that has caused major disruption (evacuations, road closures etc.).

The HSE removed the paper-based RIDDOR reporting form since the introduction of their online system. If it’s necessary for you to submit a physical form, you can find a the RIDDOR reports address on its website.

When do I need to report an incident by?

RIDDOR rules requires the responsible persons to notify the enforcing authority within ten working days of an incident.

In cases where accidents result in the incapacitation of workers for over seven days, you’ll have 15 days from the day of the incident to report it to the enforcing body.


It's worth remembering that you don't have to report all incidents to RIDDOR. You’re not required to submit a report of for death or injuries that arise from any of the following:

  • Medical treatment or examination carried out under the supervision of a doctor.
  • The duties carried out by a member of the armed forces while on duty.
  • Road traffic incidents (unless it involves the loading or unloading of a vehicle, work alongside the road, e.g. construction or maintenance work or the escape of a substance conveyed by the vehicle; or a train).

Expert advice

Contact Croner for information about our employee health & safety services, including updating your policies and procedures and help with conducting risk assessments. Call free on 0808 145 3385.

Free to Download Employer Resources

  • Adverse Weather Policy


    Adverse Weather Policy

    Read more
  • Sample Data Protection Policy


    Sample Data Protection Policy

    Read more
  • Pay Awards & Forecast (September 2018)


    Pay Awards & Forecast (September 2018...

    Read Croner Reward's expert settlement and forecast report for September 2018

    Read more
  • Why You Might Need Mental Health First Aid…


    Why You Might Need Mental Health Firs...

    Bosses of 50 leading British businesses have called on Theresa May to make ‘ment...

    Read more
  • Step-by-step guide to incident reporting (RIDDOR)


    Step-by-step guide to incident report...

    Although organisations are continually taking steps to guarantee the health &...

    Read more
  • [Mythbuster] Christian Employees Can Refuse to Work over Christmas


    [Mythbuster] Christian Employees Can ...

    Christmas is first and foremost a Christian holiday. For this reason some employ...

    Read more
  • bemrose-school-derby


    Bemrose School Derby

    “Having Croner-i saves us a lot of time and money, as we do not have to use cred

    Read more
  • wmtr



    “I’d definitely recommend the Croner OnSite services and I have done already, I

    Read more
  • certikin



    “Our Distribution Manager had a particularly technical query relating to respira

    Read more

Ready to focus on what you do best?

Get your free consultation and speak to an expert today.